The ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 is finally here, and the first match England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 will be a blockbuster clash between the defending champions, England, and the runners-up, New Zealand. The match will take place at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, which is the world’s largest cricket stadium with a capacity of 132,000 spectators. The match will start at 2:00 PM IST on Thursday, 5th October 2023.
Both teams have some of the best players in the world and they will be eager to start their campaign on a winning note. England has a formidable batting line-up with the likes of Jonny Bairstow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, and Jos Buttler, while New Zealand has a balanced team with experienced players like Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Trent Boult and Tim Southee.
The match will also be a rematch of the thrilling final of the 2019 World Cup, which was decided by a super over after both teams scored 241 runs in 50 overs. England won the super over by boundary count and lifted their maiden World Cup trophy. New Zealand will be looking for revenge and to prove that they are not just the bridesmaids of world cricket.
Let us take a look at some of the key aspects of the match and make our prediction based on the latest data and evidence.
Consider reading: ICC World Cup Schedule and Team List
Possible Line up for England Team
England have announced their final 15-member squad for the World Cup and they have made one change from their provisional squad by replacing Jason Roy with Harry Brook. Roy has been struggling with a hamstring injury and has not played any cricket since August. Brook is an exciting young batsman who scored 485 runs at an average of 53.88 in the Royal London One-Day Cup this year.
England’s probable playing XI for the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 match is:
|Jos Buttler ©||Wicket-keeper/Batsman|
Consider reading: England World Cup 2023 Squad Team List
Possible Line Up for New Zealand
New Zealand have also announced their final 15-member squad for the World Cup and they have made two changes from their provisional squad by bringing in Rachin Ravindra and Mark Chapman in place of Tom Blundell and Doug Bracewell. Blundell has been ruled out due to a finger injury while Bracewell has been dropped due to poor form.
New Zealand’s probable playing XI for the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 match is:
|Tom Latham ©||Wicket-keeper/Batsman|
Venue details and Pitch conditions for England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023
The Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad has hosted six T20Is, 26 ODIs, and 15 Tests so far. The pitch here is generally flat and good for batting, but it also offers some assistance to the spinners and the pacers, who can vary their pace and length. The average first-innings score in ODIs in the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad is 242, but we can expect higher scores in this World Cup as both teams have explosive batsmen.
The weather forecast for Thursday is sunny and hot, with no chances of rain. The temperature will be around 35 degrees Celsius during the day and drop to around 25 degrees Celsius at night. The humidity will be around 44%, and there will be a gentle breeze blowing across the ground. There will be some dew factor in the second inning, which might make it difficult for the bowlers to grip the ball.
Details about the winning team in Ahmedabad in the last 5 matches
The last five ODIs played at Ahmedabad are:
- India vs West Indies, November 11, 2022: India won by 96 runs
- India vs West Indies, February 9, 2022: India won by 6 wickets
- India vs West Indies, February 6, 2022: India won by 6 wickets
- India vs South Africa, February 27, 2010: South Africa won by 90 runs
- Australia vs Zimbabwe, February 21, 2011: Australia won by 91 runs
As we can see, India has won the last three ODIs at this venue, while South Africa and Australia have won one each. The average margin of victory in these matches is 75 runs for the team batting first and 6 wickets for the team batting second.
England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 – What should the team do after winning the toss?
The toss will be a crucial factor in England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 match, as both teams will prefer to chase the target. The pitch is expected to remain good for batting throughout the match, but the dew factor in the second inning will make it easier for the batsmen to score runs. The team winning the toss should opt to field first and try to restrict the opposition to a manageable total.
Key players to watch out from England
England has a strong and balanced team with many match-winners in their ranks. Some of the key players in the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 match to watch out from England are:
- Jonny Bairstow: He is one of the most destructive openers in world cricket and has a phenomenal record in ODIs. He has scored 3,818 runs in 86 matches at an average of 47.72 and a strike rate of 104.51. He has 11 centuries and 16 fifties to his name and can take any bowling attack apart with his aggressive strokeplay.
- Ben Stokes: He is arguably the best all-rounder in the world and has proved his worth in all formats of the game. He is a match-winner with both bat and ball and can change the course of the game with his brilliance. He has scored 2,863 runs in 99 matches at an average of 41.22 and a strike rate of 94.66. He has also taken 74 wickets at an average of 41.83 and an economy rate of 6.15. He was the hero of England’s World Cup triumph in 2019 and will be eager to repeat his performance in this edition.
- Adil Rashid: He is England’s leading spinner and has been very effective in ODIs. He has taken 159 wickets in 113 matches at an average of 30.55 and an economy rate of 5.61. He has a variety of deliveries in his arsenal and can trouble the batsmen with his googlies, leg-breaks, and sliders. He will be a key weapon for England in the middle overs and at the death.
Key players to watch out for in New Zealand
New Zealand has a well-rounded team with experienced and talented players in every department. Some of the key players to in the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 watch out from New Zealand are:
- Kane Williamson: He is one of the best batsmen in the world and the captain of New Zealand. He has scored 6,554 runs in 156 matches at an average of 47.83 and a strike rate of 82.32. He has 13 centuries and 42 fifties to his name and can anchor the innings with his class and composure. He will miss the first match due to an injury but he will be available for the rest of the tournament.
- Trent Boult: He is one of the best fast bowlers in the world and the leader of New Zealand’s bowling attack. He has taken 172 wickets in 96 matches at an average of 24.82 and an economy rate of 5.07. He can swing the ball both ways and can trouble any batsman with his accuracy and pace. He will be a major threat for England’s top order in the powerplay overs.
- Glenn Phillips: He is a young and exciting batsman who can play as a wicket-keeper or as a specialist batsman. He has scored 1,012 runs in 29 matches at an average of 40.48 and a strike rate of 98.64. He has three centuries and four fifties to his name and can play according to the situation. He will be a vital cog in New Zealand’s middle order.
Where and How to Watch England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 Match
Here is a list of the official broadcasters and streaming platforms for the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 Match
|England||Sky Sports Cricket||Sky Go|
|New Zealand||Spark Sport||Spark Sport|
|Australia||Fox Cricket||Kayo Sports|
|India||Star Sports Network||Disney+ Hotstar|
|USA||Willow TV||Willow TV|
|Sri Lanka||Sony Six||SonyLIV|
|Pakistan||PTV Sports||PTV Sports|
|Netherlands||Ziggo Sport||Ziggo Sport|
Prediction for the winner of the England vs New Zealand ICC World Cup 2023 Match
Based on the head-to-head record, recent form, squad strength, pitch condition, weather forecast, and other factors, we can make our prediction for the winner of this match.
England have a slight edge over New Zealand as they have won three out of their last four ODIs against them. They also have more depth and firepower in their batting line-up, which can help them post big totals or chase down any target. New Zealand have a balanced team but they will miss their captain, Kane Williamson, in this match, which will affect their batting stability.
Therefore, we predict that England will win this match against New Zealand by a narrow margin and start their World Cup campaign on a high note. However, we cannot rule out the possibility of a close contest or an upset, as both teams have the potential and the talent to pull off a victory.
It will be an exciting and entertaining match to watch, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Thank you for reading our blog post, and stay tuned for more updates and predictions on the World Cup 2023.