The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 is just around the corner, and cricket fans are eagerly waiting for the biggest event of the year. The tournament will be hosted by India from October 5 to November 19, 2023, and will feature 10 teams competing in a round-robin format followed by the knockout stage.
India, the two-time world champions and the hosts, have announced their 15-man squad for the mega event, led by Rohit Sharma. The squad has a mix of experience and youth, with some of the best players in the world in their ranks.
In this blog post, we will take a look at the India squad, their match details, their strengths and weaknesses, their key players, their history in World Cups, and their chances of winning the trophy.
Consider reading: ICC World Cup Team List , Captain and Coach Details
ICC World Cup India Squad 2023 Player List and Details
Here is the table that shows the India squad for the ICC World Cup 2023, along with their roles, age, ODI caps, ODI runs, ODI wickets, and ODI average.
|Player||Role||Age||ODI Caps||ODI Runs||ODI Wickets||ODI Average|
|Rohit Sharma ©||Batsman||36||232||10,309||8||49.33|
|Hardik Pandya (vc)||All-rounder||29||65||1,367||55||29.93|
ICC World Cup 2023 India Match Schedule
Here is the table that shows the match details of India in the ICC World Cup 2023, along with the date, day, opponent, venue, and time.
|Oct 08, Sun||India vs Australia, 5th Match||MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 11, Wed||India vs Afghanistan, 9th Match||Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 14, Sat||India vs Pakistan, 12th Match||Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 19, Thu||India vs Bangladesh, 17th Match||Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 22, Sun||India vs New Zealand, 21st Match||Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamsala||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 29, Sun||India vs England, 29th Match||Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 02, Thu||India vs Sri Lanka, 33rd Match||Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 05, Sun||India vs South Africa, 37th Match||Eden Gardens, Kolkata||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 12, Sun||India vs Netherlands, 45th Match||M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
Strengths and Weaknesses of the India Squad
The India squad for the ICC World Cup 2023 has many strengths that make them one of the favourites to win the title. Some of the strengths are:
- A strong and balanced batting line-up, with Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Shubman Gill, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Ishan Kishan, and Suryakumar Yadav as the main batsmen. They have the ability to score big runs and chase down any target.
- A versatile and explosive all-rounder in Hardik Pandya, who can bat in the middle order and bowl at any stage of the innings. He can also provide the finishing touch with his big-hitting skills.
- A quality spin attack, with Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, and Kuldeep Yadav as the main spinners. They have the experience and skill to bowl in different conditions and situations, and also contribute with the bat.
- A potent pace attack, with Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, and Shardul Thakur as the main pacers. They have the pace, swing, accuracy, and variations to trouble any batting line-up.
- A good fielding unit, with agile and athletic players who can save runs and take catches. They also have two reliable wicket-keepers in KL Rahul and Ishan Kishan.
However, the India squad also has some weaknesses that could hamper their chances of winning the title. Some of the weaknesses are:
- A lack of depth in the batting order, with only Hardik Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja as the recognised lower-order batsmen. If the top order fails, they could be exposed by the opposition bowlers.
- A lack of experience in some of the players, especially Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, and Shardul Thakur. They have not played much international cricket and could be under pressure in a big event like the World Cup.
- A lack of consistency in some of the players, especially Virat Kohli, Kuldeep Yadav, and Mohammed Shami. They have not been in the best of form recently and could struggle to perform at their best level.
- A lack of match practice in some of the players, especially Ravichandran Ashwin, who has not played an ODI since 2017. He could find it difficult to adjust to the ODI format after a long gap.
Key Players to Watch Out for in India Squad
The India squad has many star players who can make a difference in any match with their performance. Some of the key players to watch out for are:
- Rohit Sharma: The captain and opener of the team, Rohit Sharma is one of the best batsmen in the world. He has scored three double centuries in ODIs and holds the record for the highest individual score of 264. He can play long innings and score runs at a fast rate. He is also a good leader and motivator for his team.
- Virat Kohli: The former captain and number three batsman of the team, Virat Kohli is one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He has scored over 12000 runs in ODIs at an average of 59.07. He can adapt to any situation and chase down any target. He is also a fierce competitor and a passionate player.
- Jasprit Bumrah: The spearhead of the pace attack, Jasprit Bumrah is one of the best bowlers in the world. He has taken over 100 wickets in ODIs at an average of 24.43. He can bowl with pace, swing, accuracy, and variations. He can bowl at any stage of the innings and trouble any batsman.
- Ravindra Jadeja: The all-rounder of the team, Ravindra Jadeja is one of the most valuable players in the team. He has scored over 2400 runs and taken over 180 wickets in ODIs. He can bat in the lower order and bowl his left-arm spin with control and guile. He is also one of the best fielders in the world.
India Performance in World Cups Matches
India has played a total of 89 matches in the Cricket World Cup since its inception in 1975. Out of these 89 matches, India has won 53 matches and lost 33 matches. Three matches ended in a tie or no result. India has won the World Cup twice, in 1983 and 2011, and finished as the runners-up once, in 2003. India has also reached the semi-finals four times, in 1987, 1996, 2015, and 2019.
Here is a table that shows the summary of India’s performance in each World Cup edition.
|2003||South Africa/Zimbabwe/Kenya/Namibia/ICC Trophy Qualifiers (Canada/Netherlands)||Runners-up||11||9||2||0||0|
|2007||West Indies||Group Stage||3||1||2||0||0|
Prediction of India’s Performance in ICC World Cup 2023
Based on the analysis of the India squad, their match details, their strengths and weaknesses, their key players, and their recent performances in ODIs, we can make some predictions about their performance in the ICC World Cup 2023. Here are some of the possible scenarios:
- Best-case scenario: India wins all nine group matches and tops the table. They face the fourth-placed team in the semi-final and win comfortably. They face the second-placed team in the final and win a thrilling match to lift their third World Cup trophy.
- Likely scenario: India wins seven out of their nine group matches and finishes second in the table. They face the third-placed team in the semi-final and win a close match. They face the first-placed team in the final and lose a hard-fought match to finish as the runners-up.
- Worst-case scenario: India wins five out of their nine group matches and finishes fourth in the table. They face the first-placed team in the semi-final and lose by a big margin. They finished fourth in the tournament.
Of course, these are just predictions based on some assumptions and factors. Cricket is a game of uncertainties and anything can happen on any given day. The actual performance of India will depend on many variables, such as form, fitness, luck, conditions, opposition, etc. However, one thing is certain: India will play with passion, pride, and skill, and will give their best to win the World Cup for their country and fans.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post on ICC World Cup India Squad 2023. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please let me know in the comments section below.