The Netherlands are back in the ICC World Cup after a gap of 12 years, having qualified for the 10-team tournament by winning the World Cup Qualifier in Zimbabwe in 2023. The Dutch have a history of upsetting the big teams in the World Cup, having beaten England in 2009 and Ireland in 2011. They will be hoping to repeat their giant-killing feats in India, where they will face some of the best teams in the world.
In this blog post, I will give you a comprehensive overview of the Netherlands squad, their match schedule, their strengths and weaknesses, their key players, their recent performances, their World Cup history, and their chances of making an impact in the 2023 edition. Let’s get started!
Consider reading: ICC Cricket World Cup Schedule
ICC World Cup Netherlands Squad 2023 Player List and Details
The Netherlands have announced a 15-member squad for the World Cup, led by wicketkeeper-batsman Scott Edwards. The squad features a mix of experienced and young players, with some of them having played in various T20 leagues around the world. Here is the full list of players and their details:
|Player||Role||Batting Style||Bowling Style||Age|
|Scott Edwards ©||Wicketkeeper-batsman||Left-handed||–||27|
|Max O’Dowd||Opening batsman||Right-handed||Right-arm off-spin||27|
|Bas de Leede||All-rounder||Right-handed||Right-arm medium-fast||22|
|Vikram Singh||Middle-order batsman||Left-handed||Right-arm medium-fast||19|
|Teja Nidamanuru||Middle-order batsman||Right-handed||Right-arm leg-spin||21|
|Paul van Meekeren||Fast bowler||Right-handed||Right-arm fast-medium||29|
|Colin Ackermann||All-rounder||Right-handed||Right-arm off-spin||30|
|Roelof van der Merwe||All-rounder||Left-handed||Slow left-arm orthodox||37|
|Logan van Beek||All-rounder||Right-handed||Right-arm fast-medium||31|
|Aryan Dutt||All-rounder||Right-handed||Right-arm leg-spin||19|
|Ryan Klein||Fast bowler||Left-handed||Left-arm fast-medium||24|
Source: Netherlands Cricket
ICC World Cup 2023 Netherlands Match Schedule
The Netherlands are placed in Group B of the World Cup, along with Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, England, and India. They will play nine matches in the group stage, with the top four teams advancing to the semi-finals. Here is the full schedule of their matches:
|Oct 06, Fri||Pakistan vs Netherlands, 2nd Match||Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad||02:00 PM GMT / 08:30 AM LOCAL (Pakistan won by 81 runs)|
|Oct 09, Mon||New Zealand vs Netherlands, 6th Match||Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 17, Tue||South Africa vs Netherlands, 15th Match||Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamsala||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 21, Sat||Netherlands vs Sri Lanka, 19th Match||Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow||05:00 AM GMT / 10:30 AM LOCAL|
|Oct 25, Wed||Australia vs Netherlands, 24th Match||Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Oct 28, Sat||Netherlands vs Bangladesh, 28th Match||Eden Gardens, Kolkata||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 03, Fri||Netherlands vs Afghanistan, 34th Match||Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 08, Wed||England vs Netherlands, 40th Match||Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
|Nov 12, Sun||India vs Netherlands, 45th Match||M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru||08:30 AM GMT / 02:00 PM LOCAL|
Strengths and Weaknesses in the Netherlands Squad
The Netherlands squad have some strengths that can help them compete against the top teams in the World Cup. Some of them are:
- Batting depth: The Netherlands have a lot of all-rounders in their squad, who can contribute with both bat and ball. This gives them a lot of flexibility and options in their batting order, and also allows them to chase or defend any target.
- Spin bowling: The Netherlands have a variety of spinners in their squad, who can exploit the conditions in India. They have off-spinners (O’Dowd, Ackermann), leg-spinners (Nidamanuru, Dutt), and left-arm spinners (van der Merwe). They can also use their part-timers (de Leede, Singh) if needed.
- Experience: The Netherlands have some players who have played in the World Cup before, and also in various T20 leagues around the world. They have the likes of van der Merwe, van Beek, Barresi, and Ackermann, who have played in the IPL, BBL, CPL, and other tournaments. They also have a coach in Ryan ten Doeschate, who is a former Netherlands captain and a legend of associate cricket.
However, the Netherlands squad also have some weaknesses that can hamper their chances of success in the World Cup. Some of them are:
- Lack of pace: The Netherlands do not have many fast bowlers in their squad, and rely mostly on medium-pacers and spinners. This can be a disadvantage against teams that have aggressive and powerful batsmen, who can take advantage of the lack of pace and bounce.
- Inconsistency: The Netherlands have not played much ODI cricket in recent times, and have not faced many top teams. This can affect their consistency and confidence, as they may not be used to the pressure and intensity of the World Cup.
- Inexperience: The Netherlands have some young and inexperienced players in their squad, who may not be ready for the big stage. They have players like Singh, Nidamanuru, Dutt, and Klein, who have not played many international matches. They may struggle to cope with the quality and variety of the opposition.
Key Players to Watch Out for in Netherlands Squad in ICC World Cup 2023
The Netherlands squad have some players who can make a difference with their performances in the World Cup. Some of them are:
- Bas de Leede: The 22-year-old all-rounder is one of the most promising talents in Dutch cricket. He was the leading run-scorer and wicket-taker for his team in the World Cup Qualifier, scoring 303 runs at an average of 50.50 and taking 12 wickets at an average of 18.08. He can bat anywhere in the order, and bowl medium-fast or off-spin. He is also a brilliant fielder, and has a calm temperament.
- Max O’Dowd: The opening batsman is one of the most experienced players in the squad, having played 40 ODIs and 38 T20Is. He is a solid and stylish batsman, who can anchor the innings or accelerate as per the situation. He has scored 1,212 runs in ODIs at an average of 32.86, with nine fifties and a hundred. He can also bowl useful off-spin, and has taken 15 wickets in ODIs.
- Logan van Beek: The fast-bowling all-rounder is one of the most versatile players in the squad, having played in various T20 leagues around the world. He has played in the IPL, BBL, CPL, T20 Blast, and Super Smash. He is a skilful and aggressive bowler, who can swing the ball both ways and bowl at good pace. He has taken 34 wickets in ODIs at an average of 33.41, with a best of 4/24. He can also bat lower down the order, and has scored 333 runs in ODIs at a strike rate of 97.08.
Netherlands Performance in World Cup Matches
The Netherlands have played in four World Cups so far, in 1996, 2003, 2007, and 2011. They have won only two matches out of 20, both against associate teams. They have also lost one match to Kenya by forfeit in 2003, due to security concerns. Here is a summary of their World Cup performances:
|1996||5||0||5||12th out of 12|
|2003||6||1||4||11th out of 14|
|2007||3||0||3||16th out of 16|
|2011||6||1||5||14th out of 14|
The Netherlands have also played some memorable matches in the World Cup, such as:
- Netherlands vs England, Lord’s, 2009: The Netherlands stunned England by four wickets in the opening match of the World T20 at Lord’s. Chasing a modest target of 163, the Dutch held their nerve and reached the target with one ball to spare, thanks to a six by Edgar Schiferli off the last ball.
- Netherlands vs Ireland, Kolkata, 2011: The Netherlands scored the highest total by an associate team in the World Cup, piling up 306 for seven against Ireland. Ryan ten Doeschate scored a brilliant century (106 off 108 balls), and was well supported by Tom Cooper (47 off 48 balls) and Alexei Kervezee (39 off 36 balls). However, Ireland chased down the target with six wickets and two overs to spare, thanks to centuries by Paul Stirling (101 off 72 balls) and William Porterfield (68 off 98 balls).
- Netherlands vs South Africa, Chittagong, 2014: The Netherlands bowled out South Africa for a paltry 145 in a World T20 match, with Ahsan Malik taking five for 19. The Dutch then gave a spirited chase, but fell short by six runs. Stephan Myburgh scored a quickfire 51 off 28 balls, but none of the other batsmen could support him.
Prediction of Netherlands Performance in ICC World Cup 2023
The Netherlands face a tough challenge in the World Cup, as they have to compete against some of the best teams in the world. They have a balanced and talented squad, but they lack the experience and exposure of playing at the highest level. They will have to play out of their skins to cause any upsets or surprises.
The Netherlands have some advantages that can help them in their campaign, such as:
- Motivation: The Netherlands have qualified for the World Cup after a long time, and they will be eager to prove themselves on the big stage. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and they will play with passion and pride.
- Conditions: The Netherlands are familiar with the conditions in India, as they have played there before. They also have some players who have played in the IPL or other domestic tournaments in India. They can adapt to the pitches and weather better than some other teams.
- Spinners: The Netherlands have a strong spin attack, which can be effective in India. They have spinners who can bowl in different phases of the game, and also vary their pace and flight. They can trouble some of the batsmen who are not comfortable against spin.
However, the Netherlands also face some challenges that can hinder their progress, such as:
- Quality: The Netherlands do not have many players who can match the quality and skill of the top teams. They may struggle against the pace and bounce of some of the fast bowlers, or the accuracy and variation of some of the spinners. They may also find it hard to cope with the pressure and intensity of the World Cup.
- Consistency: The Netherlands have not played much ODI cricket in recent times, and they may lack the rhythm and confidence that comes from playing regularly. They may also be rusty or nervous, as they have not faced many top teams in a while.
- Depth: The Netherlands do not have much depth in their squad, and they may suffer if any of their key players get injured or out of form. They may not have enough backup options or replacements who can fill in the gaps.
Based on these factors, I predict that the Netherlands will finish at the bottom of Group B, and will not qualify for the semi-finals. They may win one or two matches against some of the weaker teams, but they will not be able to challenge the stronger teams. They may also lose some close matches due to their lack of experience or composure.
However, the Netherlands can still take pride in their achievement of qualifying for the World Cup, and they can use this opportunity to learn and improve. They can also showcase their talent and potential to the world, and inspire the next generation of Dutch cricketers. They can also enjoy the experience of playing in the biggest event of cricket, and make some memories that will last a lifetime.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post on ICC World Cup Netherlands Squad 2023. If you did, please share it with your friends and fellow cricket fans. Also, let me know your thoughts and feedback in the comments section below. Thank you for your time and attention.