The sixth match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 will see New Zealand vs Netherlands at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad on October 7. Both teams have played one match each in the tournament so far, with contrasting results. New Zealand thrashed England by nine wickets in the opening game, while the Netherlands suffered an 81-run defeat against Pakistan.
New Zealand is one of the favorites to win the World Cup, having reached the final in the last two editions. They have a balanced and experienced squad, led by Kane Williamson, who is recovering from a hamstring injury. Their batting is formidable, with Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra scoring centuries against England. Their bowling is equally potent, with Trent Boult, Matt Henry, and Ish Sodhi leading the attack.
The Netherlands are playing their first World Cup since 2011, having qualified as the winners of the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League 2020–23. They are the underdogs in this match, but they have some talented players who can cause an upset. Scott Edwards, their captain and wicketkeeper-batsman, is their leading run scorer in ODIs. Logan van Beek, their fast-bowling all-rounder, is their leading wicket-taker in ODIs.
Possible Line-ups in the New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023 Match
Here are the possible line-ups in the New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023 match for both teams based on their previous matches and current form.
|Devon Conway (wk)||Max O’Dowd|
|Rachin Ravindra||Vikramjit Singh|
|Kane Williamson ©||Scott Edwards (c & wk)|
|Will Young||Bas de Leede|
|James Neesham||Colin Ackermann|
|Mitchell Santner||Roelof van der Merwe|
|Daryl Mitchell||Logan van Beek|
|Tim Southee||Aryan Dutt|
|Matt Henry||Ryan Klein|
|Trent Boult||Paul van Meekeren|
|Ish Sodhi||Shariz Ahmad|
Consider reading: Netherlands World Cup 2023 squad
Venue Details and Pitch Conditions for New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023 Matc
The Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium has hosted seven ODIs so far, with five wins for the team batting first and two for the team chasing. The average first-innings score at this venue is 304, while the average second-innings score is 252. The highest total at this venue is 350/4 by Australia against India in 2023, while the lowest total is 174 by India against South Africa in 2005.
The pitch at this venue is expected to be a good one for batting, with some assistance for the fast bowlers early on. The spinners will also come into play as the match progresses and the pitch wears out. The weather forecast for the match day is sunny and hot, with no chances of rain.
Recent Matches at Hyderabad
Here are the details of the last five ODIs played in Hyderabad.
|Jan 18, 2023||India vs New Zealand||India won by 8 wickets|
|Oct 6, 2023||Pakistan vs Netherlands||Pakistan won by 81 runs|
|Mar 2, 2019||India vs Australia||Australia won by 32 runs|
|Dec 13, 2017||India vs Sri Lanka||India won by 8 wickets|
|Oct 13, 2015||India vs South Africa||South Africa won by 214 runs|
Toss Factor for the New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
The toss can be crucial in this match, as the pitch might deteriorate in the second innings and make batting difficult. The team winning the toss might prefer to bat first and put up a big total on the board. However, chasing is not impossible at this venue, as India showed against New Zealand earlier this year.
Key Players for New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
Here are some of the key players to watch out for from both teams.
- Devon Conway: The left-handed opener has been in sensational form in ODIs, scoring four centuries and three fifties in his last ten innings. He scored an unbeaten 123 off 96 balls against England in his last match and will look to continue his run spree against Netherlands.
- Trent Boult: The left-arm pacer is one of the best bowlers in the world, especially in the powerplay and the death overs. He has taken 178 wickets in 98 ODIs, with an economy rate of 5.08. He took two wickets for 32 runs in his last match against England and will pose a big threat to the Netherlands batsmen.
- Ish Sodhi: The leg-spinner is a wicket-taking option for New Zealand in the middle overs. He has taken 77 wickets in 63 ODIs, with an average of 32.88 and a strike rate of 35.6. He took three wickets for 39 runs in his last match against England and will look to exploit the spin-friendly conditions in Hyderabad.
- Scott Edwards: The captain and wicketkeeper-batsman is the backbone of the Netherlands batting line-up. He has scored 1212 runs in 35 ODIs, with an average of 40.40 and a strike rate of 94.64. He scored 47 off 54 balls against Pakistan in his last match and will hope to lead from the front against New Zealand.
- Logan van Beek: The fast-bowling all-rounder is the most experienced player in the Netherlands squad, having played domestic cricket in New Zealand and England. He has taken 34 wickets in 25 ODIs, with an average of 33.41 and a strike rate of 36.8. He also has a handy lower-order bat, with a highest score of 45 not out.
- Roelof van der Merwe: The former South Africa international is a valuable asset for the Netherlands, with his left-arm spin and aggressive batting. He has taken 29 wickets in 23 ODIs for the Netherlands, with an average of 28.86 and an economy rate of 4.83. He also has scored 493 runs in 23 ODIs, with an average of 24.65 and a strike rate of 97.03.
Where and How to Watch New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
Here is a list of the official broadcasters and streaming platforms for the New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
|England||Sky Sports Cricket||Sky Go|
|New Zealand||Spark Sport||Spark Sport|
|Australia||Fox Cricket||Kayo Sports|
|India||Star Sports Network||Disney+ Hotstar|
|USA||Willow TV||Willow TV|
|Sri Lanka||Sony Six||SonyLIV|
|Pakistan||PTV Sports||PTV Sports|
|Netherlands||Ziggo Sport||Ziggo Sport|
Prediction for New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
New Zealand is the clear favorite to win this match, given their superior quality and experience. They have a well-rounded team that can adapt to any conditions and situations. The Netherlands have some talented players who can put up a fight, but they lack the consistency and depth to challenge a top team like New Zealand.
Therefore, I predict that New Zealand will win New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023 match by a comfortable margin.
Fantasy Tips for the New Zealand vs Netherlands World Cup 2023
Here are some fantasy tips for this match based on the probable playing XI, pitch report, and recent form.
- Pick more batsmen and all-rounders from New Zealand, as they are likely to score big runs on this pitch.
- Pick more bowlers and spinners from Netherlands, as they might get some assistance from the pitch in the second innings.
- Pick Devon Conway as the captain or vice-captain of your fantasy team, as he is in sublime form and can score heavily against Netherlands.
- Pick Trent Boult or Ish Sodhi as the other captain or vice-captain of your fantasy team, as they are likely to take wickets against Netherlands.
- Pick Scott Edwards or Logan van Beek as the differential picks from Netherlands, as they can contribute with both bat and ball.